All incoming students attending Quest University Canada are required to bring to campus a laptop computer meeting minimum specifications. As this will be used in class as a study and research tool, students must be the sole user of their laptop.
Quest is a PC and Mac campus and recommends the following minimum software packages:
- Microsoft Windows XP Professional or higher, or Mac OS 10.4 or higher
- Microsoft Office (Student & Teacher Edition and above)
- An Internet Security Suite (such as Norton or McAfee)—antivirus protection is required to participate on the wireless network. Subscription expiration dates for definition updates must extend beyond the current semester (no trial software allowed). Free versions are fine.
- Minimum 60 Gb hard disk drive
- Minimum 1 Gb RAM memory—Minimum 1.8 GHz processor
- Internal or external wireless (802.11a, b, g, or ‘n’ compliant and 12-bit WEP capable)
- Audio output—10/100/1000 Mbps Ethernet (recommended)
- Three-year warranty (recommended)
- Theft and damage insurance (recommended)
- A full featured laptop, not a tablet. Tablets can be useful as an addition to, but not as a replacement for, a laptop.
- Flash drive (1GB minimum)
- Back up capability e.g. external drive (highly recommended)
Quest provides students with a wireless campus. Students can work on academic assignments and access the internet and email from the Library, University Services, Academic, and Residence buildings. Certain locations within these buildings also have wired access.
Printing will be available for purchase through the University print services. A personal printer can be useful, but is not required.
PURCHASING COMPUTER EQUIPMENT, SOFTWARE, & ACCESSORIES
Please plan on having your laptop computer ready for use before the beginning of classes, and preferably by the beginning of orientation. If you plan on purchasing or upgrading your laptop over the summer, keep in mind that some vendors offer academic discounts. If you plan on making a purchase after you arrive in Squamish, you may contact our office for recommendations on making purchases in our area.
Location: First Floor, Library Building
Please note that the IT department is responsible for Quest-owned hardware, infrastructure, and network. They cannot fix problems with your laptop.