Office of the Ombudsperson
The Ombuds Office at Quest University works with students, faculty and staff to ensure that all members of the community are treated fairly. The focus of the Ombudsperson is to ensure that everyone at Quest can learn, work and live in a fair, equitable and respectful environment.
Reporting to the President, the office is an independent, impartial, informal and confidential resource for all members of the Quest community.
What is an Ombudsperson?
The Ombudsperson at Quest is an advocate for fairness. In this role, the Ombudsperson:
- Is concerned with the rights of every person to be treated fairly,
- Acts as a source of information and advice on rules and procedures,
- Informally or formally investigates complaints of unfair treatment in an impartial and objective manner,
- Has the power to recommend solutions when complaints are well-founded,
- When complaints are unfounded, explains why; and,
- Helps to identify systemic problems and weaknesses in institutional policy and practice and offers suggestions to improve them.
How the Ombuds Office Can Help
The role of Ombudsperson varies from university to university. At Quest, the Ombudsperson is available to students, faculty and staff. The Ombudsperson will always encourage individuals to first follow current policy and procedures to resolve an issue, but can help in other ways:
What the Ombudsperson
• Identify and explain relevant policies and procedures
• Explore options on how best to proceed and make effective referrals
• Provide guidance to help plan strategies
• Clarify goals and promote problem-solving
• Empower individuals to deal directly and effectively with their concerns
• Facilitate discussions and use informal channels to seek resolution
• Give sound, practical advice
• Listen and provide an objective perspective
What the Ombudsperson
• Decide who is right or wrong
• Take sides
• Receive complaints unrelated to the university
• Provide legal advice or counselling services
• Advocate for an individual case
• Compel actions or overturn decisions
We are currently in the process of recruiting our next Ombudsperson. Until that person is in place we encourage you to seek support and guidance from others in the Quest community.
Students having difficulty resolving an issue can seek advice or support from a member of the Student Life team, a Floor Rep, a trusted faculty member, or a member of the Students Representative Council (SRC).
Staff having difficulty resolving an issue can seek advice or support from their manager or contact Rachael Cabrera, Director of Human Resources, directly at 604. 898.8051 or
Faculty having difficulty resolving an issue can contact James Byrne, VP and Interim Chief Academic Officer, their area coordinator, or the faculty representative to the Board of Governors (Ellen Flournoy).