Office of the Ombudsperson
The Ombuds Office at Quest University works with students, faculty and staff to ensure that all members of the community are treated fairly. The focus of the Ombudsperson is to ensure that everyone at Quest can learn, work and live in a fair, equitable and respectful environment.
Reporting to the President, the office is an independent, impartial, informal and confidential resource for all members of the Quest community.
What is an Ombudsperson?
The Ombudsperson at Quest is an advocate for fairness. In this role, the Ombudsperson:
- Is concerned with the rights of every person to be treated fairly,
- Acts as a source of information and advice on rules and procedures,
- Informally or formally investigates complaints of unfair treatment in an impartial and objective manner,
- Has the power to recommend solutions when complaints are well-founded,
- When complaints are unfounded, explains why; and,
- Helps to identify systemic problems and weaknesses in institutional policy and practice and offers suggestions to improve them.
How the Ombuds Office Can Help
The role of Ombudsperson varies from university to university. At Quest, the Ombudsperson is available to students, faculty and staff. The Ombudsperson will always encourage individuals to first follow current policy and procedures to resolve an issue, but can help in other ways:
What the Ombudsperson
• Identify and explain relevant policies and procedures
• Explore options on how best to proceed and make effective referrals
• Provide guidance to help plan strategies
• Clarify goals and promote problem-solving
• Empower individuals to deal directly and effectively with their concerns
• Facilitate discussions and use informal channels to seek resolution
• Give sound, practical advice
• Listen and provide an objective perspective
What the Ombudsperson
• Decide who is right or wrong
• Take sides
• Receive complaints unrelated to the university
• Provide legal advice or counselling services
• Advocate for an individual case
• Compel actions or overturn decisions
My name is Waged Jafer and I am excited and honoured to be part of the Quest Community as an ombudsperson and I look forward to working with all members of the community, including, students, faculty and staff. My role is to provide advice and assistance through an independent, impartial and strictly confidential process to ensure all members are able to pursue a just and fair solutions to disputes.
My background in Conflict Resolution and Peace Studies opened up various exciting opportunities for me throughout the years. I have worked in student affairs in higher education, as a Conflict Management Consultant, University Instructor and an Ombudsperson.
My role as an ombudsperson is not a full-time position at this time as I am completing my doctoral studies at the University of British Columbia. If I am not busy with my ombudsperson responsibilities, reading and writing my dissertation, I enjoy photography, travelling and all kinds of out-door activates.
604.898.8031 | email@example.com