Student Continuation Options
With Quest University suspending normal academic operations after the Spring 2023 semester, current and prospective students will need to examine options for the continuation of their studies. This page provides information for students, and will be updated as more information is available.
Quest students, the work you have done at Quest is valuable. Other institutions recognize that and want Quest students to join their institutions. Where you go is up to you. Quest has special agreements with some institutions, and will present a number of potential options for students. We understand that each student has their own situation that informs their choice. We know that there are questions individual to each student that we will not have answered here. Please feel free to send your questions to email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org, and feel free to request an individual meeting time.
Capilano University (North Vancouver)
Quest and Capilano have an agreement in place for a foundation program block transfer of 60 credits (2 years) to their Bachelor of Arts with a major in Interdisciplinary Studies. There is also support for students with more or less than two years of courses. Notably, Capilano will waive residency requirements for students in third or fourth year entering into the program. Here is a link to the full agreement. Watch their presentation from the Transfer Fair.
Application and contact details:
- Inquiries can go to the recruitment team at email@example.com. They aim to respond with in 24 hours.
- For questions about the Interdisciplinary Studies program, contact the faculty program coordinator Cass Picken.
- April 10 is the deadline for priority housing applications.
- The application fee is waived for Quest students. Email firstname.lastname@example.org from your Quest email to get one-time code to waive the fee.
- Bachelor of Arts with a Major in Interdisciplinary Studies
- Close to full course transfer for most students
- In British Columbia
- Capstone project work can parallel Keystone
- The application fee is waived
- Potential Downsides:
- Bachelor of Arts and not a Bachelor of Arts & Sciences
- Students will need to evaluate their own tuition and scholarship levels
- Some pedagogical differences from Quest
Prescott College (Prescott, Arizona)
Prescott has created a web inquiry page for Quest students with details and an expedited application process. Quest has a preferred teach-out / transfer agreement in place with Prescott College. It includes full student credit transfer and the continuation of student’s degree plan in a Bachelor of Arts and Sciences in Interdisciplinary Studies, which they created to support Quest students. They offer courses on the block, and have online and in person options. Prescott also welcomes prospective students admitted to Quest. Watch their presentation from the Transfer Fair. Prescott is also offering a number of online sessions and information events specifically for Quest students.
- BA&Sc in interdisciplinary studies. Degree plan / question stays intact.
- 100% transfer of courses for students at any stage.
- Similar pedagogy to Quest. Block delivery.
- Options for in person and online.
- Matching current net tuition payments.
- Advantages if students transfer in a cohort. Depending on student numbers, they may hire Quest faculty/staff to support students.
- Offer to explore hosting alumni association.
- Potential Downside: not in Canada
Other options within British Columbia
Within British Columbia, many Quest courses are already articulated in the BC Transfer Guide to show how they transfer from one school to another. When looking to transfer within BC, students should identify programs wherein the courses you have taken at Quest map onto requirements for a particular major. There are some institutions and programs where students will be better set up to transfer into.
Institutions in British Columbia that have reached out to provide support for Quest students include:
- University of British Columbia. UBC has campuses in Vancouver and the Okanagan and will consider late transfer requests for Quest students. They will aim to be generous in terms of credit transfer but will need to work out specific details with each student. The limitation is that you cannot transfer more that 2 years (60 credits) into UBC. Watch their presentation from the Transfer Fair for application and inquiry details.
- LaSalle College Vancouver has an agreement with Quest for students to transfer into their Associate of Arts Degree or into one of their arts-focussed Bachelor of Arts degree programs. In British Columbia, associate degrees are two year degrees (fairly parallel to Quest’s Foundation Program) that serve as degrees on their own or transfer to another university to complete a Bachelor’s degree. Watch their presentation from the Transfer Fair
- University of the Fraser Valley has campuses in Abbotsford and Chilliwack and offers a broad range of programs. Quest students who have completed 2nd year studies or more are guaranteed entry into the Bachelor of Integrated Studies (BIS) with credit for all Quest courses completed. Watch their presentation from the Transfer Fair. UFV will:
- Waive the UFV 30 credit residency requirement
- Waiver the 24 upper level residency requirement
- Modify the BIS breath requirement to ensure a Quest student will not need to do any additional courses to met this requirement
- Those with less than third year standing or interested in other UFV degrees are guaranteed to receive credit for all Quest courses completed, and will work with an academic advisor to prepare a degree completion plan. The residency requirement (minimum UFV courses required) will be waived for any Quest student continuing at UFV in any program.
- Quest students are guaranteed a spot in on-campus housing for the Summer 2023 semester. Those wishing to start in September, or stay after the summer, will be given consideration for housing once they have completed the application form(s).
- University of Victoria will consider late applications from Quest students. Interested students should start by contacting the admission assistant responsible for the program they are interested in. The registrar’s office will ensure the appropriate admission officer contacts you to discuss next steps.
- Simon Fraser University believes that their interdisciplinary and experiential approach to learning may appeal to Quest students and would welcome them to join SFU on their academic journey. SFU will extend the opportunity for qualified Quest students to transfer to SFU for Fall 2023, with application fees for these students being waived. A specific admissions team member will be appointed for Quest students.
- University Canada West offers undergraduate programs and graduate programs. You can inquire here or email Maria .
- Trinity Western University offers undergraduate programs including degree completion.
- Vancouver Island University will prioritize responding to Quest students. Students can visit this page to learn more, and connect with a recruiter at email@example.com. Watch their Transfer Fair presentation.
- Fairleigh Dickinson University Vancouver Campus offers students one of the few opportunities to earn an American college degree while studying in Canada. Students can transfer up to 2 years) in Bachelor of Business Administration and Bachelor of Science in Information Technology , and 3-Years in the Bachelor of Arts in Individualized Studies program. Three flexible intakes – Summer (May), Fall (September), and Spring (January). Here are the details for the Online Application and a video on How to Apply .
- BCIT School of Business + Media (Burnaby) is one of the largest business and media schools in Western Canada, with over 100 programs and 800 accredited courses for Quest University students to continue their studies. They are accepting applications for Fall 2023. BCIT faculty have deep industry experience. You will receive hands-on, real-world learning opportunities and industry connections to help start or advance a fulfilling career. BCIT Program Advisors are available to answer your questions and discuss transfer credits from Quest. Further information:
- Finish a diploma in 2 years and ladder to a bachelor’s degree for an additional year
- 30+ diploma and degree programs in six specialized study areas: Accounting, Finance, and Insurance, Broadcast and Media Communications , Business Administration, Human Resources, and Sustainable Business, Digital Arts, Media, and Design, Marketing Management, Operations Management
- Learn at your own pace through BCIT Flexible Learning.
- Attend free online info sessions to learn more about different business and media programs
Other options throughout Canada
- Renaissance College, University of New Brunswick offers a Bachelor of Philosophy in Interdisciplinary Leadership Studies that features small class sizes, interdisciplinary and experiential education, close-knit learning community, individually tailored degree paths, flexible course transfer options. For advanced students, the online Bachelor of Integrated studies may also be an option. Here are some links: What makes us unique, more about the program, and a virtual tour. Contact: Dean Carol Nemeroff or Kendall Kadatz. Watch their presentation from the Transfer Fair.
- University of Ottawa , one of Canada’s Top 10 universities, offers 350 undergraduate programs in French and English, including a Bachelor of Arts in Interdisciplinary studies. Visit this page for more details about how to apply as a transfer student and receive transfer credits. uOttawa will accept Quest transfer students if they meet our admissions requirements for the programs we still have open. Interested students can reserve a 1 on 1 virtual meeting with a University of Ottawa representative during the Transfer fair. Click here to book a meeting
- St. Mary’s University is a small, liberal arts & sciences university in Calgary, AB. STMU offers a number of Bachelor of Arts degrees including a Bachelor of Arts in Liberal Studies . With an average class size is 25 and affordable tuition, STMU is committed to providing a wonderful student experience. If interested, you can Book an Appointment with a recruiter or contact firstname.lastname@example.org to discuss transfer options or sign up to be a Student for a Day.
- The University of Windsor welcomes and supports Quest students wishing to continue their post-secondary path. Please review our Transfer Student site and connect with Transfer Enrolment Advisor Jessica Hartwick to learn how we can help you achieve your academic goals.
- Brandon University offers both a Bachelor of Arts and a Bachelor of Science program that allows for courses to be taken from both disciplines. Most classes are 20 students or fewer, and they have some of the most affordable tuition rates in Canada . There are opportunities for undergraduate research and co-op work experiences. There are many supports and services including Indigenous student supports. Students transferring from Quest are eligible for transfer credit up to 60 credit hours maximum (apx 2 years of coursework). A transfer evaluation is completed at time of admission. Apply as early as possible , however, they will accept applications until August 1, 2023. Contact:[FutureStudents@BrandonU.ca](mailto:FutureStudents@BrandonU.ca) or book a virtual meeting.
Other options with academic programming aligned with Quest University
Quest is part of three alliances filled with institutions that have some alignment with Quest’s educational vision. These are:
- The Consortium for Innovative Environments in Learning, or CIEL.
- IBILTA, a group of schools offering their courses on the block.
- The Pacific Alliance of Liberal Arts Colleges, or PALAC.
The following schools are those that have reached to Quest to support transfer for Quest students. If you would like to be connected with a particular institution, please email email@example.com.
- Bennington College, Bennington, Vermont is CIEL school. Bennington is one of Quest’s influences where students create their own plan of study. Quest’s “question” was influenced by “The Plan” process at Bennington. Priority application by April 15. Individual credit evaluation, scholarship, and application process. Watch their Transfer Fair presentation. Contacts: Sam Prince and Liz Hackett.
- Westminster College, Salt Lake City, Utah is a CIEL school with traditional and self designed majors.
- Fairhaven College at Western Washington University, Fairhaven, Washington is a CIEL school. Fairhaven is an embedded college in WWU where students design their own BA degree programs or do any other major in WWU. You can generally transfer three years of study in Fairhaven. Interested students can apply to WWU and indicate interest in Fairhaven to begin the process. Direct any questions to Fairhaven.Admissions@wwu.edu For fall quarter 2023, submit by March 24. January start deadline is September 15. Watch their Transfer Fair presentation.
- Pomona College, Claremont, California is a PALAC school and liberal arts college. Pomona has made an exception to their transfer window and opened transfer applications from Quest students until March 21. To apply you will need a specific code. Email firstname.lastname@example.org to receive a code.
- University of Montana Western, Montana is block school with an Interdisciplinary Studies path and a Bachelor of Applied Science along with 29 other majors. Contact Matt Allen for more information. Watch their Transfer Fair presentation.
- Cornell College, Iowa is a block school. In addition to Cornell’s BA in a list of existing majors , Cornell College offers both individualized majors (developed by the student and 3 faculty) as well as a Bachelor of Specialized Studies , which is an extremely flexible program and could be a good fit given the structure of Quest’s ‘self-authored concentration’. The faculty member who oversees pre-health professions would be happy to work with health science or science students. Contact email@example.com to get connected to the faculty member.
- Olivet College, Michigan is a CIEL related school with majors and interdisciplinary degree. They can match student net tuition cost and will transfer all credits from Quest and count up to 90 towards the bachelors degree. Contact: Mike Lazusky, Director of Transfer, Graduate, and Adult Professional Admission
- New College, University of Alabama, Tuscaloosa, Alabama is a CIEL school. New College is a small college with self designed degrees embedded in the larger University of Alabama. New College has previously partnered with Quest on a collaborative course.
- The Evergreen State College, Olympia, Washington is a CIEL school featuring an individualized major, team taught courses, and narrative assessment. Priority housing deadline June 1; application deadline September 1. Watch their Transfer Fair presentation.
- School of Individualized Study, Rochester Institute of Technology, Rochester, New York is a CIEL school. The SIS is flexible pathways school within the larger polytechnic institution. They will consider Quest students despite the posted transfer deadline.
- Soka University America, Los Angeles, California is a PALAC school with progressive programming.
- Hong Kong Chu Hai College is PALAC related and interested in exploring transfer opportunities for students. Students can contact registrar Eric Wong if interested in exploring this option.
- Duke Kunshan University is a PALAC school located in China. There may be transfer opportunities for students early in their undergraduate careers.
- Goddard College is a CIEL related school with a generous transfer credit policy, an open curriculum providing strong transfer opportunities, and low-residency and online options. For more, visit: Goddard is Different and Transferring to Goddard. Individual questions can go to Lucy. Watch their Transfer Fair presentation.
- Hampshire College, Amherst, Massachusetts is a CIEL school with no majors and an academic structure aligned with Quest. Living in on campus housing is encouraged. Application deadline extended to June 1 for Quest students. Contact: firstname.lastname@example.org. Watch their Transfer Fair presentation.
- Randolph College, Lynchburg, VA is a block school that offers 29 undergraduate majors, 44 minors, and four graduate degrees. Randolph uses the TAKE2 model, where students complete two classes during seven week sessions. If you have an interest in Randolph, contact them for information about deadlines, how to apply, and about preliminary transcript evaluations for transfer credit. Admission staff are available for virtual presentations and tours. Inquiries can be directed to email@example.com
- College of the Atlantic (COA), in Bar Harbor, Maine, is built on an academic approach that closely aligns with Quest: a self-designed, interdisciplinary BA degree in human ecology, allowing students the freedom to explore and combine studies across the sciences, humanities, social sciences, and arts. COA is a very small community of 350 students, 25% of whom are international from more than 40 countries. The transfer application deadline for Quest students is extended to May 1. Contact dean of admission Heather Albert-Knopp ( firstname.lastname@example.org ) for more information.
Student considerations based upon year of study
Where you are in your studies may inform the opportunities and limitations you might pursue. Below are some considerations for students at different stages of their academic career. International students will have additional considerations, and we have put together a page with information in response to some common questions.
- 1st/2nd year students:
- Transfer with few limitations
- Few challenges with course residency requirements (typically 2 years or 60 credits)
- Possibility to use Quest courses as general education requirements for a variety of majors
- Possibility to transfer into a Bachelor’s degree or to an Associate’s degree
- 3rd/4th year students:
- Challenges with course residency requirements (typically 2 years of 60 credits)
- Challenges with Quest courses not meeting the requirements for disciplinary majors
- Best served by a preferred agreement or selected institutions with interdisciplinary degrees
- Within a semester (4 courses) of completion:
- We are working on enabling you to finish a Quest degree through a combination of options (EL, IS, academic leave transfers)
- These options require external support and are not completely within our hands. We will continue working hard on this and let you know about progress.
- If these options are not possible we will work with preferred partners for you to finish your degree.
Student Record Access
As required by the Ministry of Post-Secondary Education and Future Skills, QUC must provide a transcript maintenance plan that includes the maintenance of transcripts if Quest were not able to provide access. Since 2010, an agreement between the Ministry, Quest, and Capilano has been active wherein Capilano would host Quest University student transcripts for 55 years. Details about how students will access their transcripts in the future will be shared here in the future.
Transfer Fair, March 8-10
From March 8-10, several institutions gave person or virtual sessions for Quest students. Details from the sessions—including recordings—are included in the main listings of the institution above. The schedule is archived here for reference.
- Wednesday, March 8
- 9:00-5:00 Prescott College: individual student drop in
- 11:00-12:00 Prescott: in person presentation
- 12:15-12:45 Community Update
- 1:00-2:00 UBC: virtual presentation
- 3:00-4:00 University of the Fraser Valley: virtual presentation
- 3:30-5:00 Career Fair (Atrium)
- 4:15-5:00 Fairhaven College, Western Washington University: in person presentation
- Thursday, March 9
- 9:00-5:00 Prescott College: individual drop in
- 11:00-12:00 Prescott College: in person presentation
- 11:00-2:00 University Canada West: in person drop in
- 12:00-1:00 Capilano University: in person presentation
- 1:00-2:00 Prescott College: in person presentation
- 1:00-2:00 Renaissance College, University of New Brunswick: virtual presentation
- 2:00-3:00 Goddard College: virtual presentation
- 3:00-4:00 Hampshire College: virtual presentation
- 4:15-5:00 Bennington College: virtual presentation
- 7:00-8:00: LaSalle College Vancouver: in person presentation
- Friday, March 10
- 9:00-5:00 Prescott College: individual student drop in
- 12:00-1:00 Vancouver Island University: virtual presentation
- 1:00-2:00 University of Montana Western: virtual presentation
- 2:00-3:00 The Evergreen State College: virtual presentation