Andrew Wood, LEAP
Andrew Wood grew up in Comox Valley on Vancouver Island. He is not only a notable snowboarder, but also leads a life of creativity through writing. Andrew is accomplished in both slopeside and freeride snowboarding. He trained on the BC Development Team in Slopestyle in 2008, based out of Big White, and was invited to compete in Provincial Halfpipe. Andrew went for international training in Falls Creek, Australia where he earned his first major outerwear sponsor.
Very self-driven, Andrew created a grassroots snowboarding contest in the Sea-to-Sky Corridor called Backyard Sessions in partnership with various sponsors. He also created a web series called local lines. Andrew has been published as a writer & rider in Mountain Life Magazine (Coastal) and CV Collective. Alongside school, he chased snow in the backcountry filming/shooting social media content for his sponsors and writing articles.
At Quest, Andrew was also the Creative Director and Club President of W.E.R.D. Magazine (What Everybody Really Does), an arts collaborative; trained and played with the Quest Rugby 7’s Team; and served as Minister of Arts & Culture on the SRC. Andrew is interested in alternative education methods, the role of creativity in rehabilitation, working with high-risk youth in Squamish and facilitating community engagement through the arts. His question was, What is optimal experience and can it be facilitated?
- Traveled across Canada competing in Slopestyle (YouLookGood Canadian Contest Series; Canadian Shield; Burton Open)
- Competed throughout British Columbia in Slopestyle, Freeride & Rail Contests (Rossland, Nelson, Vernon, Kelowna, Kamloops, Vancouver, Vancouver Island & Whistler)
- Competed in Invitational Big Airs at Sunpeaks & Mt Washington Resort (First Flight New Years Eve Jam (2009-2015); Afterdark Invitational (2007-2014))
- Participated in Arcteryx Deep Winter 72 Photo Challenge on the invite from Photographer Mike Helfrich
- Participated in Intersection 7 Day Film Challenge with Nuulife Cinema (2012-2014)2