Study Permit Information

Study Permit Application Information for International Students

Obtaining your Study Permit for Canada is required for starting your studies at Quest. Careful planning in advance of your arrival will ensure that you will have your Study Permit in time for your arrival! You are responsible for ensuring that your study permit is valid at all times.

Here is a comprehensive Instruction Guide which reviews all steps of the study permit application process.  Please review this in detail:

Please make sure to apply for a co-op work permit with your study permit application. When answering the online questionnaire for your study permit, you’ll have the opportunity to select the “co-op work permit.” This permit allows you to complete your Experiential Learning (internship) in Canada; a mandatory component of your degree. Applying for the co-op work permit with your study permit is free and saves you having to complete this in the future.

General Information

• The Study Permit Application can be completed online or on paper.

If you apply online you must have access to a scanner or camera to create electronic copies of your documents for uploading and have a valid credit card for payment.
Read more or start your application here:

**Some students have reported issues opening the PDF version of the IMM 1294 Study Permit application  form – if you experience issues, try opening with a different browser or save the form to your computer and then open it from your computer.

• When to apply?
As soon as possible after receiving your Letter of Acceptance

• Cost?

• Processing time?
Check your processing times

• You will need to make sure that your passport does not expire within 6 months. 
If so, you will need to apply for a new passport before submitting your Study Permit Application. If your Study Permit expires before your studies are complete, you can apply to renew it in Canada, but you will have to pay an additional application fee.

• A digital copy of your ‘Official Letter of Acceptance’ and ‘Verification of Enrolment’ documents will be sent to you. If you also require a physical copy of these documents, please contact your Admissions Counsellor for support.
Make sure that all of the information on the documents is correct before submitting an application, and save a copy for your records.

• Fill out all required forms carefully and completely. 
Make sure that you review the Study Permit Document Checklist which indicates the forms you are required to submit: If you experience issues opening this checklist, please try using a different browser – Internet Explorer has worked for us in the past.

• You may be asked to have a medical exam or a criminal records check.
You may be asked to have a medical exam or a criminal records check. These may cost an additional fee and may delay your Study Permit application processing time.

• As of June 1, 2014 study permits allow students to also work on/off campus for 20 hours a week during the semester and full-time during breaks.
The conditions related to your eligibility to work needs to be printed on your study permit. However, many border agents are still printing incorrect conditions on study permits. When you receive your study permit, please ensure it says “may accept employment” or “may work in Canada” based on being eligible for one of these conditions:

• May work 20 hrs per week off-campus or full-time during regular breaks if meeting criteria outlined in section 186(v)of IRPR.

• May accept employment on or off campus if meeting eligibility criteria as per R186(f), (v) or (w). Must cease working if no longer meeting these criteria.

US Students

Students holding a U.S. passport have three options for submitting your application:

1. You can apply for your study permit online. You can find the online application here:

2. You can apply at a US/Canada border crossing. If you live close to the border, you can apply in advance; otherwise, you can apply when you enter Canada at the start of September. It is a good idea to allow a few extra hours for the border crossing to ensure you have enough time for Study Permit processing before move-in.

3. You can submit your paper application by mail to the Visa Application Centre (VAC) in Los Angeles.

Students from Outside the US

• You will need to apply to the Canadian Visa Office in your home country (or a designated alternative). Here is a list of Canadian Visa Offices:

• The application process can take anywhere from two weeks to three months. To be safe, apply for your Study Permit as soon as you receive your ‘Official Letter of Acceptance’ and ‘Confirmation of Enrolment’ documents from Quest. A digital copy will be sent to you. If you require a physical copy, please contact your Admissions Counsellor. Make sure that all of the information on the documents is correct before submitting an application, and save a copy for your records.

• A number of Canadian Visa Offices have different Study Permit application procedures. Make sure you have the correct procedures directly from the office or their specific website (for example, the Canadian Visa Office in Beijing has a different website than the Canadian Visa Office in London).

• Depending on your citizenship or where you live, you may require an eTA (Electronic Travel Authorization) or a Visitor Visa, as well as a study permit. Your eTA or Visitor Visa will be issued to you at the same time as your study permit. You do not need to apply separately or to pay an additional fee.

• Carry all required entry documents with you when you travel to Canada. Do not pack them in your suitcase; bring them with you in person. Important documents are: Passport (with Temporary Resident Visa if needed), the ‘Official Letter of Acceptance’ document from Quest, your Study Permit acceptance letter from the Canadian Visa Office, your proof of financials documents, Quest Scholarship/Financial Aid Award letter (if applicable) and any other required documents in the Document Checklist. Once you arrive in Canada, you will have to go to the Immigration Office at the airport and provide them with these documents. The official study permit will be issued to you at this time.

At any point, please feel free to contact your Admissions Counsellor with your questions.

WordPress Image Lightbox Plugin